Raga Kalyan (Yaman)
Madhyam is teevra and rest of the swars are shudha in the raga.
Jati: Shadav- Sampoorna
Time: 4th Prahar of the day
Varjit: Pancham is varjit in aroha
Aroha: Nị Re Ga Ḿa Dha Ni Sȧ
Avaroha: Sȧ Ni Dha Pa Ḿa Ga Re Sa
Pakad: Nị Re Ga Re Ḿa Re Ga Re Sa
Features of the raga:
- This raga is the prime raga of Kalyan thaat. It is also known as Yaman raga.
- Shadaj- Pancham bhava is used many times in this raga. Eg. Re Dha, Sa Pa, Ga Ni, Ḿa Sa. It is a very melodious raga.
- The alignment of the swars ‘Pa Re’, define Kalyan raga.
- It is a very popular raga and is used a lot in film music, Khayal gaayan and theatrical music.
- If shudha Madhyam is used instead of teevra Madhyam, it is calledYaman Kalyan raga or Gemini Kalyan raga.
- In raga vistaar ‘Pa Sa’ is used. Therefore, scholars consider it a sampoorna jati raga also.