All swars are shudha.
Jati: Audav - Audav
Time: 9 pm – 12am
Varjit: Gandhar and Nishad
Aroha: Sa Re Ma Pa Dha Sȧ
Avaroha: Sȧ Dha Pa Ma Re Sa
Pakad: Sa Re Ma Re Pa, Ma Pa Dha Ma Re, Sa Re Dhạ Sa
Features of the raga :
- The swar alignments Dha Ma, Re Pa and Re Dha are characteristic of raga Durga.
- In Carnatic music there is a raga by the name of ‘Shudha Saveri’. Raga Durga is the same raga in Hindustani classical music.
- There are 2 types of raga Durga. The first one originates from Bilawal thaat and the second one from Khamaj thaat. However the raga from Bilawal thaat is more famous.
- There are 2 ragas very similar to raga Durga: raga Jaldhar Kedar and raga Shudha Malhar. All the 3 ragas have the same vadi-samvadi swar, same thaat, same time to sing, all swars are shudha and Re Pa and Dha Ma are recurring notes. However the way one sings the raga, differentiates the 3 ragas.
- Raga Durga is similar to raga Shudha Malhar and Jaldhar Kedar, however raga Shudha Malhar originates from raga Malhar and raga Jaldhar Kedar from raga Kedar.
Difference in the singing style of the 3 ragas
Raga Durga: Sa Re Dhạ Sa, Re Ma Pa Dha Ma Re Pa, Ma Pa Dha Ma Re, Sa Re Dhạ Sa
Raga Shudha Malhar: Sa Re Ma MaRe ma Re Pa Ma Pa Dha Sȧ
Raga Jaldhar Kedar: Sa Re Sa Ma, Ma Ma Pa Dha Ma, Ma Ma Re Pa Pa DhaMa Pa Ma Sa Re Sa