Both the Madhyams: shudha and teevra are present in the raga. Rest of the swars are shudha.
Jati: Audav- Sampoorna
Time: 2nd Prahar of the night
Varjit: Rishabh and Dhaivat are varjit in aroha.
Aroha: Nị Sa Ga Ma Pa Ni Sȧ
Avaroha: Sȧ Ni Dha Pa Ḿa Ga Ma Ga Re Nị Sa
Pakad: Nị Sa Ga Ma Pa Ḿa Ga Ma Ga Re Nị Sa
Features of the raga:
- In ancient times, only teevra Madhyam was used in raga Bihaag. However in modern times both, shudha and teevra, Madhyams are used.
- Shadaj, Gandhar and Pancham are the nyasa swars of this raga.
- Rishabh and Dhaivat are varjit in aroha. In avroha also, the singer should not emphasise on them. Both are durbal swars in this raga.
- This raga starts from mandra saptak Nishad.
- Dhrupad singers do not use teevra Madhyam while singing this raga. However Khayal singers use both Madhyams.
- Bihagada raga is similar to Bihaag raga.