Rishabh and Dhaivat are komal in the raga. Rest of the swars are shudha.
Time: Early morning
Vadi: Komal Dhaivat (Dha)
Samvadi: Komal Rishabh (Re)
Varjit: No varjit swar
Aroha: Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Dha Ni Sȧ
Avaroha: Sȧ Ni Dha Pa Ma Ga Re Sa
Pakad: Ga Ma Ni Dha Ni Dha Pa, Ga Ma Ga Re Ga Re Sa
Features of the raga:
- Raga Bhairav is the prime raga of Bhairav thaat.
- The vadi swar of this raga is komal Dhaivat and it is an early morning raga, so it is classified as Uttaranga raga. It is also called a Sandhiprakash raga as it is sung in the early hours of the day. Bhairav raga when sung creates Bhakti rasa.
- Many renditions of this raga are dedicated to the Almighty and sung in his praise. eg Jaago Mohan Pyaare
- In raga Bhairav, we cannot use Madhyam as a nyasa swar because then it becomes very similar to raga Jogiya. The nyasa swars of raga Bhairav are Shadaj and Pancham.
- Raga Bhairav is very similar to raga Kaliganda.
- There are many variations of raga Bhairav like: Prabhat Bhairav, Bairagi Bhairav, Mangal Bhairav, Bhavmat Bhairav and Shivmat Bhairav.