Gandhar, Dhaivat and Nishad are komal in the raga. Rest of the swars are shudha.
Jati: Audav - Sampoorna
Time: 2nd prahar of the day
Varjit: Gandhar and Nishad are varjit from the aroha
Aroha: Sa Re Ma Pa Dha Sȧ
Avaroha: Sȧ Ni Dha Pa Ma Ga Re Sa
Pakad: Ma Pa Dha Ma Pa Ga Re Sa
Features of the raga:
- Raga Asavari is one of the prime ragas of Hindustani classical music.
- The characteristic feature of the raga is its avaroha.
- While taking alaaps we stop at Dhaivat for a while eg. Re Ma Pa Dha ss ss. However in the taan, Dhaivat is varjit from aroha and it is sung like this: Sa Re Ma Pa Ni Ni Dha Pa Ma Ga Re Sa.
- The alignment of swars which characterise the raga are : Re Ma Pa Dha Ma Pa Ga Re Sa and Ma Pa Dha Dha Sȧ Rė Ni Dha Pa. Many ragas have been developed from this swar samooh (group) by changing the flow of swars and omitting some swars. Eg. By using komal Nishad in only aroha, Jaunpuri raga was developed and by using komal Rishabh in only avaroha, Gandhari raga developed.
- Since this raga has shudha Rishabh, it is very helpful to teach beginners. Students are able to learn and reproduce the raga with ease. Keeping this in mind, Pt.Bhatkhande incorporated Asavari with shudha Rishabh in his 10 thaats.